[scilab-Users] finding polynomials of best fit

michael.baudin at scilab.org michael.baudin at scilab.org
Sat Aug 27 14:35:22 CEST 2011

 Hi,

 It's really easy to use the backslash operator to find the least
 squares solution of a system of linear equations. In this case, the
 solution is the set of coefficients of the polynomial.

 Another option is to use a dedicated function. There is no one in
 Scilab, but there are several toolboxes to do this.

 The Stixbox toolbox (http://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/stixbox) has
 three functions:
    * linreg : Linear or polynomial regression
    * polyfit : Polynomial curve fitting
    * polyval : Polynomial evaluation
 The fitters toolbox (http://atoms.scilab.org/toolboxes/fitters) also
 has dedicated functions.