Linear programming with scilab 5

Alberto Marin amsanguino at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 15:26:52 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I have been using scilab 4 for a few years and now I am trying to upgrade to
5.3. Linear Programming, however, is making the process really complicated
and I hope someone here can help.

In the example attached there is a linear program that can be solved easily
with scilab 4 (commented linpro line) but fails whenever I try to use
Karmarkar in 5.3. The function call seems to be correct but the algorithm is
unable to find a feasible initial solution. If I provide the trivial one
(all variables equal zero) it just returns it as the final solution. I am
missing something? I must confess not being familiar with the algorithm
itself since I have always used the simplex before. Is there any parameter I
should tweak?
Thanks a lot,
Alberto