[scilab-Users] Re: using wget in scilab

Mathieu Dubois mathieu.dubois at limsi.fr
Sun Jun 26 11:51:12 CEST 2011

 Sorry I was away from my mail yesterday,

 On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 15:12:33 -0700 (PDT), lukeaarond wrote:
> *Calixte:*
> I tried your code, but changed the directory to a folder on my
> computer
> because Scilab said that 'cd: cannot go to directory /tmp'
> my code, with the new directory is:
>
> mydir='C:\Users\luke-rond\Documents\Molecular Evolution\Codes\URL
> Access\4
> wget';
> cd(mydir);
> unix('wget http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/NM_000419');
> ii=find(ls(mydir)=='findme.txt')
>
> ii is set to an empty array, meaning that 'findme.txt' was not found.
> possible reason, though doubtful, could that it is tryingt to save
> the file
> where I do not have write authorization. However, I assume the file
> should
> save to my current directory which I do have write authorization to.
>
> When it 'worked' for you, what happened? did it save the file on your
> computer? where?
>
> *Mathieu:*
>
> That sounds like a good plan. I am an amateur when it comes to unix.
> How
> would I start Scilab from a shell?

 Very simple: you open a terminal emulator (assuming you are under gnome
 it's somewhere in Applications->Accesories or Applications->System),
 enter scilab and press enter. Dont close the terminal emulator window
 because it will close scilab.
 You can also test the wget command in this shell (before starting
 scilab).

> Also, what do you mean by host instead of unix?

 'host' is another scilab command to execute external commands.