AW: [scilab-Users] Porting IPD Toolbox to Linux (continued)

Charlie Warner cwarner7_11 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 12 18:39:45 CET 2011

1. What files are necessary to build C++ libraries?

All necessary components for building c++ applications are included in the gcc compiler package.  For more information on the gcc compiler package, refer to http://gcc.gnu.org/

2. What is the equivalent of a Windows *.dll file?

I am not sufficiently versed in Windows configurations, but I do believe that most of what Windows would consider a *.dll would be designated a *.so file in Linux.  From one of my references, User Defined Functions  "are compiled into shared objects [*.so files]  (Unix-like systems) or into a dlls [dynamic linked libraries] (Windows)
by using the default compiler".  In Linux, one defines the compiler output function as *.so file by naming convention at the time of compilation.

 3. What is the Linux equivalent of win64()? How can I determine whether the architecture is 32 bit or 64 bit on Linux?

Normally, the architecture is defined at build time.  There is an application called "sysinfo" which may or may not be included with your distro, that can tell you the specifics of the installation, i.e., which kernel version, whether you are using 64 bit or 32 bit compiler versions, etc.  If you are working on a system that already has gcc installed, you can use the command "gcc -v" in a terminal window, which should give you something like:

gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.4/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-multiarch --enable-linker-build-id --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.4 --program-suffix=-4.4 --enable-nls --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-plugin --enable-objc-gc --disable-werror --with-arch-32=i486 --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5)

One can also use the command line commands "arch" or "uname -m" to determine if one is working on a 64-bit or 32-bit machine...

refer to http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/ for a complete list of all shell commands.

Charlie