[scilab-Users] scilab java

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Fri Nov 4 10:49:20 CET 2011

Hello e-letter (?),

Le vendredi 04 novembre 2011 à 09:42 +0000, e-letter a écrit :
> Readers,
>
> Below are command terminal errors trying to install scilab 5 and run
> in opensuse:
>
> scilab
> /usr/bin/scilab-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
> libhdf5.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> [root] # rpm -i libhdf5-0-1.8.2-2.2.i586.rpm
> warning: libhdf5-0-1.8.2-2.2.i586.rpm: Header V3 DSA/SHA1 Signature,
> key ID bd432934: NOKEY
> [normaluser] # scilab
> Warning: Could not find Java package '/usr/lib/java//jhdf5.jar'.
> Some problems during the loading of the Java libraries occured.
> This could lead to inconsistent behaviours.
> Please check SCI/etc/classpath.xml.
Here, the problem is because you haven't installed java hdf5.
http://www.hdfgroup.org/hdf-java-html/

> If scilab 5 requires java, why is it not compiled as a jar file? It is
> too difficult to configure.
Well, it requires certain skills ;)

>  Programmers should consider that other
> java software would be installed before scilab.
I don't understand your point.

I am trying once more my question, why are you not using the official
binary ?
http://www.scilab.org/products/scilab/download
it is providing an out-of-box fully functional Scilab.

If you are are using the packaged version of Scilab by Opensuse and you
are experiencing these issue, please report them on the opensuse bug
tracker. The maintainer is usually reactive.
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Submitting_bug_reports

Sylvestre