[scilab-Users] Scilab 6 from a Scilab 5 user's point of view

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre.ledru at scilab.org
Wed Nov 9 14:44:51 CET 2011

Le mercredi 09 novembre 2011 à 13:31 +0100, Antoine Monmayrant a écrit :
> Le 09/11/2011 00:04, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
> > Le mercredi 09 novembre 2011 à 00:01 +0100, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> The talk given by Scilab team leaders during the last ScilabTec :
> >> Scilab 6 from a Scilab 5 user's point of view
> >> http://www.scilab.org/content/download/2379/24494/file/ScilabTEC2011_WorkshopScilab6.pdf
> >> is a full bunch of good news for forthcoming features&  performances.
> >> As many scilabers, i couldn't attend the talk, but reading the very
> >> interesting PDF brings me to
> >> some questions.
> >>
> >> In pages 13&  14 : What you may wonder from Scilab 6 as a user / a
> >> developper,
> >> i do not see anything about the debugger. This component is certainly
> >> among
> >> those that the come back would be very appreciated. What about it?
> > We will indeed propose a debugger in the future (we already have a
> > prototype).
> > Under which form and/or in which specific version it will be published
> > have not been decided.
> Sorry to hijack the discussion, but I had a look at the pdf and could
> not understand exactly how things are evolving concerning the
> prefered/easier way to link to a c library.
> For the moment, I use ilib_for_link/call but it is far from convenient.
> Any change on this side?
If based on API_Scilab, the compatibility will be straightforward.

Our main objective with Scilab 6 is the compatibility, therefor, you
will find ilib_for_link/call in this version.

However, we agree that "call" is a pain to use. It is why we are
thinking about implementing a similar thing as ctypes from the Python
world:
http://docs.python.org/library/ctypes.html
but since the priority is on Scilab 6 itself, I cannot promise a target
release.

Sylvestre