v5.3.3/WinXP/SP2 Atoms failure

wynn h. winkler wwink2 at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 2 17:19:56 CEST 2012

v5.3.3 installed and working under Win XP/SP2 except for all the
atoms calls and gui interface. The general problem is that
windows.gz is not working or where it should be.
It seems to get renamed to '1_TOOLBOXES.'  . I can download
and unpack windows.gz to a file called 'windows' but then what?
How should it be installed and where?

Are there any workarounds - even downloading/installing atoms
modules without atoms commands?

Problem seems to match this discussion: