frequency responds of FM modulated signal

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Wed Apr 11 21:12:02 CEST 2012

Hi,

I don't want to sound to much like a "lazy person", but can somebody
help out with something I like to do with scilab?

In a couple of weeks, I will be giving a talk in our local radio-club
here in Ostend on GMSK and D-STAR (ham digital voice).
As most of our members are not that technical, most of the talk will be
about what GMSK looks like, how it is received by a FM tranceiver and
how a D-STAR stream is structured.

I am just starting to learn DSP myself (and how to use scilab for that),
so I know I am supposted to learn this myself, but I am a bit short on
time here.

I like to do a simulation of a 2400 bps bittrain (0-1-0-1-...), FSK
modulate it and get a frequency analysis of the result.
In addition to that, I like to do the same thing, but first apply a
gaussian filter to the signal.

The goal is to show why a gaussian filter is applied in GMSK, i.e. to
show that a GMSK signal is smaller then a plain FSK signal.

(I know, I can explain this in theory: the rizing and falling edge of a
signal include high frequency, etc. etc. ... but it would be nice to
have a visual way of showing this).

Is there a way scilab can be used for this?

Many Thanks in advance,

Kr. Bonne (ON1ARF)