[scilab-Users] Release of Scilab 5.4.0 beta 2

jasper van baten jasper at amsterchem.com
Thu Aug 2 11:43:14 CEST 2012

Dear Scilab Authors,

The installer removes the registry keys in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Scilab
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Scilab

for previous installed versions, which breaks compatibility of
applications that depend on those keys. Can this be fixed?

While at the subject of registry entries, the value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Scilab\LASTINSTALL
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Scilab\LASTINSTALL

is written by an installation, and removed by an uninstallation, leaving
no convenient way for applications that want to use scilab to find the
latest installed version. For example, install 5.3.3, install 5.4 beta,
uninstall 5.4 beta and the LASTINSTALL key is not present. Any
suggestion on how to check for the scilab installation with the highest
version number, short of searching the file system?

Many thanks, best wishes,

Jasper.