[Scilab-users] How to Install SCILAB 5.4.0 on Ubuntu 11.10

Samuel Enibe samuel.enibe at unn.edu.ng
Tue Dec 18 15:04:02 CET 2012

Dear sir,

I would like to try out the new SCILAB 5.4.0 on my 32-bit laptop running on
UBUNTU 11.10

I have downloaded and unzipped the file into a directory as required.

Unfortunately, when I invoke the scilab script from the bin directory or
from elsewhere, a SCILAB console appears briefly and the disappears. Ealier
versions of UBUNTU, such as 10.10, did not have this behavior.

I know that one alternative is to wait a couple of months when the new
version 5.4.0 will be included in the UBUNTU distribution, but I would
prefere to be able to run it now.

Could you please suggest what I should do.

Enibe
University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria