[scilab-Users] Could not load JVM dynamic library (libjava).

Mathieu Dubois mathieu.dubois at limsi.fr
Wed Feb 29 09:00:52 CET 2012

Le 28/02/2012 20:21, J T Dsouza a écrit :
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Sylvestre Ledru
> <sylvestre.ledru at scilab-enterprises.com>  wrote:
>> Le mardi 28 février 2012 à 22:57 +0530, J T Dsouza a écrit :
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to install scilab on a arm tablet
>>>
>>> I did a standard debian squeeze install of scilabs
>>> apt-get install scilab
>>>
>>> It succesfully installed a bunch of stuff including java-6-openjdk
>>>
>>> running scilab-bin throws up the following error
>>>
>>> Could not load JVM dynamic library (libjava).
>>> Error: libjvm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>> If you are using a binary version of Scilab, please report a bug
>>> http://bugzilla.scilab.org/.
>>> If you are using a self-built version of Scilab, update the script
>>> bin/scilab to provide the path to the JVM.
>>> The problem might be related to SELinux. Try to deactivate it.
>>>
>>> I dont have selinux.
>>> and libjava.so is  /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/arm/libjava.so
>>>
>>> MODEL=arm scilab-bin
>> You should never use scilab-bin.
>> You should be using scilab (or scilab-cli or scilab-adv-cli).
>
> there is no scilab or scilab-cli or scilab-adv-cli
This is really strange.

I guess you are familiar with linux so you probably already check but...
Can you show us the output of: ls /usr/bin/scilab*

If there is no scilab script I guess the problem comes from the Debian
packages for arm (I use the packages under Ubuntu on x86_64 and it works
like a charm).

>   but there is scilab-cli-bin
>
> which drops me to a scilab shell
>
> demo_gui
>   !--error 999
> Scilab Graphics module not installed.
>
> i have tcl tcl8.4 tk tk8.4 installed.
>
> What else do I have to install?

First you are supposed to use scilab-cli instead.
scilab-cli is a special command to start scilab without graphics (maybe
useful when you just want to crunch numbers). I don't think you need to
install anything.