[scilab-Users] Re: 500mo Ascii file

Antoine Monmayrant antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr
Wed Jun 13 08:08:20 CEST 2012

Le 12/06/12 22:37, Tingsten a écrit :
> Hello All Scilab users,
>
> Maybe the fist question to answer would be : is it reasonable to try to open
> a 500mo ascii file with Scilab for post-processing? Isn't it to much?
Hi Rémi,

Size does not matter, what matters is the way to use it ;-)
We often process huge data files.
The only thing is that you cannot go the brute force way: load the whole
file and process the huge matrix of string that represents it in scilab.
This will most likely fail because of the file size.
I think you should process your file line by line or chunk by chunk
using mopen/mgetl/evstr/mclose.
You can ask for more help if you can provide more details on the
specific processing you want to perform on your data file.

Hope it helps,

Antoine