How to Install SCILAB 5.4.0 ALPHA 1 on Ubuntu 11.10

Samuel Enibe samuel.enibe at unn.edu.ng
Tue Jun 19 16:03:41 CEST 2012

I have downloaded the 32 bit version of SCILAB 5.4.0 ALPHA 1 and extracted
the files in a folder.
i have tried to run it from that folder as I used to do with earlier
versions of Ubuntu, but it does not work this time.

Instead, I have the following error reports:

*"Could not load JVM dynamic library (libjava).
Error: libjvm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
If you are using a binary version of Scilab, please report a bug
http://bugzilla.scilab.org/.
If you are using a self-built version of Scilab, update the script
bin/scilab to provide the path to the JVM.
The problem might be related to SELinux. Try to deactivate it.
Please also check that you are not trying to run Scilab 64 bits on a 32
bits system (or vice versa).

Scilab cannot open JVM library."
*

I would appreciate it if you could let me know how to complete the
installation.
--
Samuel Ogbonna Enibe
University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria