FW: How to install scilab 5.4.0-beta-1 on Ubuntu 11.10

samuel.enibe at unn.edu.ng samuel.enibe at unn.edu.ng
Thu Jun 28 23:25:49 CEST 2012

Sent from my Nokia phone
-----Original Message-----
From: Samuel Enibe
Sent:  28/06/2012 12.21.25 am
Subject:  How to install scilab 5.4.0-beta-1 on Ubuntu 11.10

Sirs,

I would like to explore the newly released SCILAB 5.4.0-beta-1 on my UBUNTU
11.10 laptop (32-bit). I have downloaded and untarred the binary version of
the release.

However, the software does not run, but rather gives this error message

*"Could not load JVM dynamic library (libjava).
Error: libjvm.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
If you are using a binary version of Scilab, please report a bug
http://bugzilla.scilab.org/."
*
A similar problem prevented me from testing SCILAB 5.4.0-alpha-1.

Could you please suggest what I should do to get it working.
--
Samuel Ogbonna Enibe
University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria