[scilab-Users] Inequality

steven hallacy sahallacy at hotmail.com
Sat May 12 00:14:19 CEST 2012

Maxima is able to solve some type of inequalities (see http://cadadr.org/maxima/faq.html).

(%i1) load(fourier_elim)$
(%i2) fourier_elim([(x/(x-3))<4],[x]);
(%o2)                         [4 < x] or [x < 3]
(%i3) fourier_elim([((x-a)/(x+a))>0],[x]);
(%o3)               [max(- a, a) < x] or [x < min(a, - a)]
(%i4)

There is a scilab toolbox that will allow you to access maxima within scilab: http://forge.scilab.org/index.php/p/scimax/. But its only available for the linux version of scilab at this time.  I haven't used it, so I can't tell you much about it.

If you're not using Linux, you might want to take a look at installing ubuntu or one of the other linux distributions on VirtualBox. This will allow you to use Linux within Windows.

HTH,
Stephen