[Scilab-users] installation problems with scilab-5 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Klaus-Dieter Liss kdl at ansto.gov.au
Thu Nov 1 01:46:26 CET 2012

Hello,

working with scilab since 9 years, almost daily, and passing it on to my students...

I am still working with scilab 4.2.2, since it's running! we are evaluating most of my research data on this, and it's not bad! however, scilab-5 has some features i may like, and scilab-4.2.2 does not compile anymore on newer distros.

as I am orking under multiple systems, it should run under the following 3 linux distributions:

Distributor ID: SUSE LINUX
Release:        10.3
Codename:       n/a

2.
Distributor ID: SUSE LINUX
Release:        12.1
Codename:       Asparagus

3.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        6.0.4
Codename:       squeeze

there are some binaries I downloaded, however, the problem, starting scilab in -nw mode

>> scilab -nw
scilab-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libjava.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

although there is such a file in the distro:
./thirdparty/java/lib/i386/libjava.so

compiling from scratch is eually a horror....

or better switch to python???

cheers, Klaus