[Scilab-users] problem with getdate()

jacques.beilin jacques.beilin at ensg.eu
Tue Nov 13 11:11:31 CET 2012

Dear All,

I am currently trying to learn Scilab. I Wrote a Gnu Octave GPS
date/time management package and I am trying to port it to Scilab. Il
notice a strange behaviour of a scilab function.

I use the getdate() function in order to get date/time elements from
current date or from an epoch refered to unix timestamp (1970-01-01
0h00UTC).

Without any parameter getdate gives a date including the time zone.

When called with a parameter (i.e. getdate(0)), the function gives 1970
January, 1st at 1:00 instead of 0:00. the "0" parameter stands for the
number of seconds from 1970-01-01T00:00:00.

-->getdate(0)
   ans  =

      1970.    1.    1.    1.    5.    1.    1.    0.    0.    0.

I do not find the reason why the date needs to be corrected from time
zone when getdate is called with a parameter.

On a computed set to UTC+00, getdate(0) gives the right result.

I compared with Gnu Octave. The equivalent function is gmtime. gmtile(0)
gives the rigth result.

Regards,

Jacques Beilin