[Scilab-users] Possible bug in 5.4.0

Gary Nelson porpoiseseeker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 00:59:43 CEST 2013

A few days ago I sought and received excellent help fixing a problem where SCINOTES was not opening or at least was not visible on my MacBookPro with 10.8.3.

The fix was to issue
dir SCIHOME
deletefile(SCIHOME+'/scinotesConfiguration.xml')

and then restart SCILAB.

I now see what happens to make this problem occur.

FIrst, when running a few apps simultaneously, I occasionally want to go to the FINDER and choose HideOthers which causes all open app windows to minimize EXCEPT Scilab which stays put.  That is probably not what is expected.

Yesterday I did this and rather automatically clicked the minimize button on the SCINOTES window.  It collapsed and I could see a trajectory as it disappeared down to the lower tier of icons but was not to be found again. That is, despite the appearance that SCINOTES was minimized, I could not find it and open it back up.

After that minimize (SCINOTES) operation, the only fix I could find was to repeat

      deletefile(SCIHOME+'/scinotesConfiguration.xml').

Which fixed the problem after a restart.  So there is no amjor bug, but there is a GUI foible.

What apperas to be an issue is that the GUI does not entirely conform to whatever Apple expects when that Finder/HideOthers operation is performed, and it is probably related to the non-reversibility of minimizing SCINOTES.

I am most grateful for the fine support and the excellent product that you create for us all.  Thanks.  This note is intended to be helpful to the cause

Gary Nelson
porpoiseseeker at gmail.com