[Scilab-users] Flash distilaiton

jasper van baten jasper at amsterchem.com
Thu Aug 1 10:03:35 CEST 2013

This sounds like a flash calculation more than a distillation
calculation and is directly performed by thermodynamic servers made
available via CAPE-OPEN.

Implementing such an algorithm in a stable and efficient manner from
scratch is not straight forward and has been the subject of many
publications in literature. If you are restricted to two phases (vapor
and liquid) and you are sure to be between the dew and the bubble point
(so that you are sure that both exist) it becomes a lot easier. There
are literally dozens of algorithms that do this.

Phase equilibrium conditions at specified T and P are such that

- all fugacities of all compounds in the two phases are equal
- the vapor compositions add up to unity
- the liquid compositions add up to unity
- the amount of any compounds in the vapor added to the amount of the
same compound in the liquid must equal the overall amount of the
compound (compound balances, aka phase summation equation)

You can use simply a Rachford-Rice approach
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_evaporation), or the approach
sketched by Michael Michelsen, "The isothermal flash problem, part II,
phase split calculation" (Fluid Phase Equilibria 9 (1982), pp 21-40). If
you are sure you need to track over a constant temperature line between
a dew point and bubble point, a continuation method comes to mind.

But you will still need to have the (log) fugacity coefficients of all
compounds for the vapor and the liquid phase.

Best wishes,

Jasper.