[Scilab-users] How to start with several variables in AUTOMATIC function of GROCER

Eric Dubois grocer.toolbox at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 21:04:39 CET 2013

Dear Samuel.

The error can be explained easily: one of the main principles of the
program automatic is to find the best model that passes specification
tests, that is tests that the residuals can be considered as white noise
and that the model is stable (through standard Chow tests). And the Chow
test estimates a number of coefficients equal to twice the number of
exogenous varaibles (that is 12 coefficients with only 9 points!)

As explained in chapter 15 of  the manual (page 8-9), available on my web
site (http://dubois.ensae.net/grocer.html), you can overcome this
difficulty by reducing the set of specification tests. For instance:
--> automatic(nc, x,'test=doornhans')
works.

This is at the expense of the philisophy of the program...

Éric.