[Scilab-users] Format legends of a graph as a 2D table

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Mon Feb 25 19:14:40 CET 2013

Hello Rafael,

Le 23/02/2013 16:47, Rafael Guerra a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> One alternative to your solution which can hide a lot of the plotted
> data if the legend names are big:
>
> (figure)
>
> is to keep the legends as short as possible by using only numbers and
> placing the full text of the curve legends on the figure's title:
> (figure)

Yes, it's a nice solution.

> .../...
>
> It would be important to have in plot2d the option to post the legends
> completely outside the plotting area. Could we achieve this by using
> subplots for instance?

it is not really the job of plot2d() to put legends, despite its leg=..
parameter.
legends() (and legends_multicolumn() on fileexchange) allow to place
the bloc of legends anywhere on the figure, without any clipping out of the
data_bounds of the active axes.
Yes, using subplot() can be helpful, or more simply increasing by hand the
chosen margin of the axes where to put the legends:
clf, plot2d()
ax = gca(); ax.margins(2)=0.3;

Regards
Samuel