[Scilab-users] please help me correct this file?

Dang, Christophe Christophe.Dang at sidel.com
Mon Jan 14 09:34:20 CET 2013

Hello Naasik,

> could you please help fix the attached script. it is a basic program
> just to test my logic interlocking and my basic math functions of scilab.

Hello,

If I may give some advice:

> for a=input("select your shape?")
> end

I would simply write
a=input("select your shape?")

> horner(d,x)

horner is to evaluate a polynomial, and you did not define a polynomial
in Scilab sense. When you write

> [d]=(x)

you juste define a matrix -- [...] -- containing d, and say its equal
to x. You should write something like

x = poly(0, 'x')
d = x

meaning that the variable "x" is the polynomial built on the
indeterminate x with the root 0, i.e. P(x) = x,
then d = P(x) ( = x)

When you write

> function e(c)=c^2
> endfunction

You should write it at the beginning of the script, in the following way :

function [y] = e(x)
    y = x^2
endfunction

(here, x is a local variable, not the monomial defined above)
and then use in the main program body

e(c)

or,if you want to use horner, define a polynomial as above

e = x^2
horner(x, c)

(remember x was already defined)

Hope this helps.