[Scilab-users] Convert x, y, z data into a z=f(x,y) function

Mike Page Mike at Page-One.Waitrose.com
Mon Jul 1 11:10:58 CEST 2013

Hi,

You are asking a question which in general has no answer.  There are an infinite number of models which can fit your data.  You need to find some possible candidate model forms based on physical properties and then try fitting to them.  You are probably looking for a fit which leaves residues which are Gaussian and mean zero (but that's not always true...).

Try giving us a clue about where the data come from.  Maybe somebody has the physical background to suggest some models.  If not, try plotting the data and guessing a model from the shape.  To me the shape looks vaguely exponential or logarithmic, so maybe plotting as log-linear or log-log will give a clue.

HTH,
Mike.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: users-bounces at lists.scilab.org [mailto:users-bounces at lists.scilab.org]On Behalf Of Larissa Schultze
  Sent: 01 July 2013 09:43
  To: International users mailing list for Scilab.
  Subject: Re: [Scilab-users] Convert x, y, z data into a z=f(x,y) function

  Hello all,

  first of all, thanks a lot for your effort. I must say that I don't really have anyone to run to for asking about mathematical models - I could go to the mathematicians at the University, but I don't know anyone there and I barelly know where the institute is located...

  therefore I decided to insert my simplest table in here (it is actually very simple) - may be someone here knows which kind of mathematical model I could use?
  I have been searching for it in literature, but I don't seem to be in the right path...

  So attached you will find my data table as well as the scilab commands I used to create the respective graph. I mean, my data is already interpolated...shouldn't it be easy to get a function (z,x,y) out of it?

  I would be very very thankful for any help...I'm getting a bit desperate...

  best regards,
  Larissa