[Scilab-users] Surface smoothing in Scilab, immune to outliers

Dang, Christophe Christophe.Dang at sidel.com
Mon Mar 4 13:23:13 CET 2013

Hello,

De la part de Rafael Guerra
Envoyé : lundi 4 mars 2013 04:37

> Does somebody know if there are Scilab functions
> [...] that smooths
> experimental data z=f(x,y) and is immune to strong outliers.

imho, the problem with smoothing and outliers is that
the definition of a outlier depends on the field.

How can Scilab know what a "strong outlier" is?

I personally would try Fourier filtering:
a strong outlier means a steep slope
and therefore correspond to a high frequency.

Thus fft2, set high frequencies to 0
(with possibly a smooth transition),
then inverse fft2 -- ifft2 does not exist, I never used 2-dimension
Fourier transform so I don't know if the inverse is easy to perform...

--
Christophe Dang Ngoc Chan
Mechanical calculation engineer