[Scilab-users] plotting? - empty frame, fixed. mingw? fixed. SWIG??

shorne at energetiq.com shorne at energetiq.com
Wed May 1 22:34:59 CEST 2013

  I've been using scilab for many many years, primarily on linux systems.
 Recently trying to run on windows and hit two snags, both resolved. I'm
putting them on the list
so search engines can find them...

Fresh scilab 5.41 install on XP.
First -- dynamic linking using mingw under windows.  It Works! Thank you!
but only after I deleted a bit of the file TEMPLATE_MAKEFILE.MINGW

$ diff TEMPLATE_MAKEFILE.MINGW  TEMPLATE_MAKEFILE.MINGW0
103c103
<       $(LINKER) $(LINKER_FLAGS) -o $(LIBRARY).dll $(OTHERLIBS)
-Wl,--out-implib=$(LIBRARY).a -Wl,--export-all-symbols
-Wl,--enable-auto-import
---
>       $(LINKER) $(LINKER_FLAGS) -o $(LIBRARY).dll $(OTHERLIBS)
-Wl,--out-implib=$(LIBRARY).a -Wl,--export-all-symbols
-Wl,--enable-auto-import -Wl    $(EXTRA_LDFLAGS)

That last "-Wl, $(EXTRA_LDFLAGS) seems to cause trouble.  Is there a
better fix?

Second -- plotting didn't work.  The frame was created, but remained
empty.  It semed to be a java related issue, but maybe not.  The following
fixed it:

usecanvas(%t)
system_setproperty("jogl.gljpanel.nohw","");

This was in several places on the web.  Apparently my video drivers are
buggy.  The computer dates from around 2006.

Now a question:
There are various references in the docs to using SWIG instead of
intersci.  But there seem to be no examples.  (I did get intersci to work
in windows
and was able to link my fortran to scilab successfully. )
Are there examples of using SWIG to make an interface file to connect a
fortran routine to scilab?  My routine returns 3 long vectors.

Thanks,
Steve