[Scilab-users] Pairwise distance of a huge amount of points

shorne at energetiq.com shorne at energetiq.com
Fri Aug 29 16:38:19 CEST 2014

Jumping in late --
If your goal is to find nearest the N neighbors of a given point, look up
the K-D Tree algorithm --( I used it some decades ago...  in my case the
points were each of higher dimension -- around 9 or so.)

And if that is the application, and you want to go fast - consider using
something other than the L-2 norm to set up the tree.  L-1 should be much
faster - sum of absolute values of component distances; no squaring or
square roots -- "Manhattan norm"
Once you have built the tree and retrieved a bunch of nearest neighbors,
you can of course compute the L-2 distances over that much smaller set, if
necessary...