[Scilab-users] Rounding error or precision setting?

Adrien Vogt-Schilb vogt at centre-cired.fr
Wed Feb 19 15:24:33 CET 2014

Hi

The function *clean *does that:

clean(cos(%pi)+%i*sin(%pi))

Note that the limited precision of floating point numbers is a general
issue in computer science.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_point#Representable_numbers.2C_conversion_and_rounding

You should be aware of that for instance when testing numbers, as in:

if cos(%pi)+%i*sin(%pi) == -1
disp("i am a mathematician")
else
disp("i am a computer")
end

if abs(cos(%pi)+%i*sin(%pi) +1)<1d-8
disp("yep")
else
disp("nope")
end

or when you calculate indefinite integrals.

Also note that some modules on ATOMS and scilabfilexchange allow to make
computation with arbitrary (but not infenitesimal) precision.

On 19/02/2014 15:15, Lester Anderson wrote:
> Hello,
> Just a quick query. Not been using Scilab for a while, so maybe I have
> missed something, but is there a built-in precision setting for
> working with real and imaginary functions?
> Tried the Euler formula (special case) in Scilab 5.4.1:
> -->x=cos(%pi)+(%i*sin(%pi))
>  x  =
>
>   - 1. + 1.225D-16i
>
> -->y=%e^(%i*%pi)
>  y  =
>
>   - 1. + 1.225D-16i
> The real part is fine, but the complex has a measured value
> (approaching zero). Is there a way to tell Scilab if this gets beyond
> a limit to round off at zero say?
> Sure this is an easy one!
> Cheers
>
> Lester