[Scilab-users] scilab memory usage

Stephan Schreckenbach step.schr19 at yahoo.de
Sat Jan 4 23:31:28 CET 2014

Hi,
I want to script a code that reads data from txt or csv files and does some
calculations on them. In the future I might evaluate large data files,
run calculation extensive parameter optimizations,  do some loops with a high number of onedimensional calculations.
Therefore I worry about speed and memory usage.
I run WinXp with 3GB RAM, Intel Core 2Duo.

Since scilab processes all data as variant, how much memory is required for each constant or variable, being string, integer or double?
I still wonder if I should script via Excel VBA or scilab.
I will store my results in Excel anyway and it might be therefore easier to use VBA.
As I have read, scilab can use up to 2 GB RAM, VBA only 500MB.
But, in VBA data types can be declared, saving some memory.

Scilab can do multithreading, but not on Windows, which is what I use.
VBA can't do it eighter.
VBA might have a larger user community and knowledge Base, Scilab might be easier to script.

I would like to start out with eighter scilab or VBA and then to stick to one of them due to the large amount of code
and subscripts to write .

So-what is your suggestions?
Thanks very much in advance for your help!