[Scilab-users] scilab memory usage

Stephan Schreckenbach step.schr19 at yahoo.de
Sun Jan 5 18:07:02 CET 2014

Does scilab itself declare the variables to the type of lowest possible
memory consumption? Or do I have to do that? How?

Samuel Gougeon <sgougeon at free.fr> schrieb am 15:09 Sonntag, 5.Januar 2014:

Le 04/01/2014 23:31, Stephan Schreckenbach a écrit :

.../...
>Since scilab processes all data as variant, how much memory is required for each constant or variable, being string, integer or double?
>.../...

roughly:
string : 4 bytes per character (UTF-8 encoded)
integer: (u)int8 : 1 byte   (u)int16 : 2 bytes    (u)int32: 4 bytes
double: 8 bytes
boolean: 4 bytes
+ few other bytes to encode the format ( vector, matrix,
    hypermatrix...)