[Scilab-users] Large scale linear optimization

Claus Futtrup cfuttrup at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 17:22:59 CEST 2014

Hi Ashish Jaen

I of course cannot know about your problem explicitly, but I'd say that
2000 values (variables) is no problem. I've worked with vectors up to 2
million in size. Also the 5000 constraints, well, it sounds like it can
be done.

There is a problem with Scilab in its current form having limits to
managing memory. You should execute the command stacksize('max'); to use
as much available memory as possible. I believe that Scilab is working
on removing this limit in a future edition of Scilab (v. 6).

Whether you will run into a memory problem I can't say. I guess, the
only way to find out is to try.

Best regards,
Claus

On 19-Jun-14 09:44, Ashish Jaen wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to this mailing list, so please pardon me if this question
> has been asked before.
>
> Has anyone used Scilab for large scale linear optimization ? The
> problem size I am looking at is about 2000 variables and 5000 constraints.
>
> Will be great if you can also share some performance numbers.
>
> I have used Matlab in the past but no longer have the license as I am
> not in university any more :(
>
> Regards.

---