[Scilab-users] Solving linear simultaneous equations

aweeks at hidglobal.com aweeks at hidglobal.com
Wed Mar 19 10:47:16 CET 2014

Hi Paul,

I have a suggestion but also a more general observation.

I have also been solving simultaneous linear equations of the form A * x =
b.  My first thought was to use the method:

	x = A \ b

and it seemed to me that if Tunji's equations are well-behaved then this
may be the easiest method, rather than using 'linsolve'.

In my case I'm trying to solve electrical circuit equations which are
sparse and include complex values.  I used  x = A \ b to begin with but for
some component values I get messages like:

	Warning :
	matrix is close to singular or badly scaled. rcond =    1.0388D-08
	computing least squares solution. (see lsq).

The method goes to completion but the results are obviously wrong.
If I use 'linsolve' instead, it goes to completion without producing any
warnings or errors but the results are wrong.
For me, 'umfpack' is the best method by far and works very well.

This is a situation which has occurred several times before.  SciLab is a
very powerful piece of software and as a result there may (apparently) be
several methods of doing the same thing but there are rarely explanations
of how each method works or why you would use one method rather than
another.

Best wishes,

Adrian.

 Adrian Weeks