[Scilab-users] GROCER VAR-HMM Example Output Different from Chapter 23

Eric Dubois grocer.toolbox at gmail.com
Tue May 20 21:55:16 CEST 2014

Hello Brian

Sorry for this late answer, but I have been quite busy these days.

I did not notice the problem with this version of the MS programs. Indeed I
have changed the optimization device of all GROCER programs and I have not
adapted the defaults for the MS programs.

If you run:
--> global GROCERDIR;
--> load(GROCERDIR+'\data\us_revu.dat')
--> bounds('1967m4','2004m2')

--> nb_states=2
--> switch_var=2 // variances are switching
--> var_opt=3 // unrestricted var-cov matrix

-->
r=ms_var('cte',3,'100*(log(us_revu)-lagts(2,log(us_revu)))',nb_states,switch_var,var_opt,'prt=initial;final','opt_convg=0')
(see chapter 6 of the manual for explanations)

Then the results of the ms_var demo is restaured.

I will change the default in Grocer next version .

Regards.

Éric.