[Scilab-users] Envelop of a noisy curve

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Fri Apr 24 19:16:03 CEST 2015

I think you need to think hard about what you mean by "envelope".  It's
not necessarily a well-defined quantity if you're talking about baseband
data.

As an example, if you're starting with x you might want to take it's
absolute xa = abs(x), then process it with a difference equation
something like:

a = <something between 0 and 1>;
xe = zeros(x);
xa = abs(x);
state = 0;
for ix = 1:prod(size(xa))
    if (state < xa(ix))
        state = xa(ix);
    else
        state = state * (1 - a);
    end

    xe(ix) = state;
end

This will certainly give you something that adheres to one
interpretation of the word "envelope", but I absolutely positively can't
guarantee that it's what you want.  It'll also not take good advantage
of Scilab's capabilities -- I don't know that anything will in this
case, at any rate.