[Scilab-users] Is this a known bug?

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Mon Dec 21 06:37:27 CET 2015

I'm running scilab-5.5.0 on Ubuntu 14.04.

When I run the attached script and then run "graphalot" for a while,
Scilab's memory usage climbs monotonically.  What is actually getting
plotted doesn't seem to make a difference -- I just did the particular
plots seen there because it's fun.

I'm seeing this in a rather large, rather graphics-intensive script I'm
using.  If I let the thing go unattended too long then Scilab slows to a
crawl and takes my computer with it -- I suspect that if I were willing
to wait for geologically significant amounts of time I could stop
Scilab, but I usually end up just cringing and whining, then resetting
the computer.

(I'm not sure what would happen in Windows, or if there's a better way,
under Linux, to make it not drag the rest of the world down.  I just try
not to let the problem happen in the first place).

I searched the bugbase for it, but my ability to find good search terms
is usually far better in hindsight than actual use.  So -- is this a
known bug, or should I file a bug report?

If it's known, has it been fixed?  In what version?

Here's the script, in case file attachment doesn't work on the list:

function graphalot()
    for n = 1:10000;
        bob = rand(1, 5000, "n");
        r = flts(bob, [%z^2 - 1; 0.5 * %z] / (%z^2 - 1.95*%z + 0.999));
        scf(0);
        drawlater();
        clf;
        plot2d(r');
        ssz = stacksize();
        xtitle(sprintf("iteration #%d, stack used %d", n, ssz(2)));
        drawnow();
        scf(1);
        clf;
        drawlater();
        plot2d(r(1, :), r(2, :), frameflag = 3, rect = [-150, -150, 150,
150]);
        drawnow();
    end
endfunction