[Scilab-users] installing latest scilab (5.5.1) version on udoo

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Tue Jan 6 23:44:01 CET 2015

Hey Patrick:

What you want to do is uninstall Scilab from Ubuntu, and hand install
it.

This can be very easy, if you don't mind not having a shortcut in your
start menu.  I use Lubuntu, so the following directions should work for
you, more or less (with the caviat that I'm no sysop).

* Download the tar

* Unpack it into your home directory someplace (I'd make a temporary
directory, in the event of screwups: as I said, I'm a user, not a
sysop).

If you don't want to make it available to all users, stop -- just run
scilab from the command line with <whatever>/scilab-5.5.1/bin/scilab.

Otherwise:

* Change ownership to root:

sudo chown root:root --recursive scilab-5.5.1

* Move it someplace sensible

sudo mv scilab-5.5.1 /usr/local/share

* Put a script file somewhere in your path to invoke it from the command
line.  I put 'scilab' in /usr/local/bin; it reads:

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/share/scilab-5.5.1/bin/scilab $*

* You'll need to make the script file so that it's owned by root, and
you'll need to make the script file executable.  You can do this by:

** Go to the right directory and invoke leafpad as root:

cd /usr/local/bin
sudo leafpad scilab

** then copy the script I gave into the file, save and exit, and then
mark it as executable:

sudo chmod +x scilab

At this point, you should be able to type 'scilab' at the command line,
and have Scilab come up.