[Scilab-users] Building on 32 bit Ubuntu 15.04

Brenton Horne brentonhorne77 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 01:38:48 CEST 2015

Hi,

I have tried to install Scilab 5.5.2 on my Ubuntu machine from source
code. Now I know there's a binary but I want an installation that
creates a /usr/bin/scilab file so that the command 'scilab' launches the
Scilab GUI. I have tried creating a symbolic link (via sudo ln -s
/path/to/scilab-5.5.2/bin /usr/bin/scilab) to allow this but for
whatever reason running 'scilab' from the command line won't seem to
launch the Scilab GUI after I create such a link.

My build attempt may be summarized by this bash script (before this
script was when I downloaded the source tarball and the prerequisite
tarball to Downloads using Chrome):|

    |||cd ~/Downloads for i in *.tar.gz do sudo tar xvzf $i -C /opt;
    done sudo chmod 777 -R /opt/scilab-5.5.2 cd /opt/scilab-5.5.2 sudo
    ./configure sudo make all|

​
no errors were encountered up until the last line, the last six lines of
output were:

    |Found dependency from scilab-cli-bin to libstdc++ found
    Makefile:2092: recipe for target 'check-libstdcpp-dep' failed
    make[1]: *** [check-libstdcpp-dep] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving
    directory '/opt/scilab-5.5.2' Makefile:1541: recipe for target
    'all-recursive' failed make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1|

​
If it is important I have been trying to follow the "Compiling Scilab
5.x under GNU-Linux Unix" Wiki article and to get any prerequisites not
in the tarball I ran:

    |sudo apt-get build-dep scilab|

    ​

The version of Scilab found in the vivid repos is 5.5.1 so I thought
that the dependencies for 5.5.2 would be similar enough to allow Scilab
5.5.2 to be built using 5.5.1's dependencies.

Thanks for your time,
Brenton