[Scilab-users] Accidentally displaying huge matrices

Antoine Monmayrant amonmayr at laas.fr
Mon May 25 15:29:24 CEST 2015

Le Samedi 23 Mai 2015 00:05 CEST, Samuel Gougeon <sgougeon at free.fr> a écrit:

> Hello Tim,
>
> Le 21/05/2015 17:48, Tim Wescott a écrit :
> > .../...
> > First, is there a way to get it to stop?  ctrl-C does not do the job.
> In your startup file .scilab or scilab.ini, you may add the instruction
> lines(1000)
> in order to turn on the pager and make it prompting the user to continue
> listing lines after each block of 1000 lines (or whatever you want).
> At the prompt, CTRL+C + abort works.

OK, but this also interrupts the execution of any script that display more than 1000 lines on the command line!
This can be particularly annoying when using scripts that process big data and  output some progression infos on the command line.
It's never nice to find out the next morning that your script stopped at 10% to ask whether it should keep on displaying text.
For me, this is more a workaround (with one big caveat) than a real solution.
The Julia way of displaying big matrices seems interesting.
Would it be hard to implement?
(honest question, I have no idea what work it implies)
As someone filled a bug/feature request?

Cheers,

Antoine