[Scilab-users] Accidentally displaying huge matrices

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Tue May 26 19:03:07 CEST 2015

On Mon, 2015-05-25 at 15:29 +0200, Antoine Monmayrant wrote:
>  Le Samedi 23 Mai 2015 00:05 CEST, Samuel Gougeon <sgougeon at free.fr> a écrit:
>
> > Hello Tim,
> >
> > Le 21/05/2015 17:48, Tim Wescott a écrit :
> > > .../...
> > > First, is there a way to get it to stop?  ctrl-C does not do the job.
> > In your startup file .scilab or scilab.ini, you may add the instruction
> > lines(1000)
> > in order to turn on the pager and make it prompting the user to continue
> > listing lines after each block of 1000 lines (or whatever you want).
> > At the prompt, CTRL+C + abort works.
>
> OK, but this also interrupts the execution of any script that display more than 1000 lines on the command line!
> This can be particularly annoying when using scripts that process big data and  output some progression infos on the command line.
> It's never nice to find out the next morning that your script stopped at 10% to ask whether it should keep on displaying text.
> For me, this is more a workaround (with one big caveat) than a real solution.
> The Julia way of displaying big matrices seems interesting.
> Would it be hard to implement?
> (honest question, I have no idea what work it implies)
> As someone filled a bug/feature request?

Argh.  I just did the lines(1000) thing, and now I think I'm going to
take it out, because I do NOT want this to happen!

Is it all that hard to interrupt the display of a large matrix with
ctrl-C?

(I vote for the Julia way of displaying things, even though I have no
clue what Julia is, BTW).

--

Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com