[Scilab-users] Prompt strange behavior in Windows7/Scilex5

Laurent Bonaventure laurent.bonaventure at ac-nantes.fr
Sun Sep 13 16:41:47 CEST 2015

Hello.

I'm experimenting with piping commands through Scilex interactive (with
the goal of interfacing it with an IPython Notebook, actually).

This is one of my problems: the prompt has a strange behavior as soon as
a command gets a delayed error (e.g., the command opens a window in a
separate thread; then the windows throws an error). I don't know how to
restore the normal behavior.

Steps to reproduce (Windows 7, Scilab >= 5.4):

1)launch Scilex (or Scilex -nw)
2)type: clf;
3)A Tk window opens. Fiddle with it to get an error.
(E.g.: trying to change the axes (Edit/Axes properties), you get in the
console: Error: can't read "wfortree": no such variable)
4)Back to the interactive prompt, press Enter.

At that point, the input isn't functioning correctly anymore.

- two prompts appear in a row instead of one
- the history works correctly
- but any commands you type directly won't be displayed at all (and
won't be executed except if you press Enter twice, and then strange
characters are added to your input)

I suppose that all this is already documented, but I can't find anything
related to the question (I tried many searches in Google/SO/gmane but
without success).

Could someone, either point me to the right page, or tell me how to
restore the correct behavior without a reset, or better yet, tell me
what's happening here?

Note. The behavior is correct under the WScilex console, but I have no
clue about how to pipe instructions through it / get its output.

Thank you.
L. B.