[Scilab-users] "Smoothing" very localised discontinuities in (scilab: to exclusive) (scilab: to exclusive) curves.

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Mon Apr 4 21:06:10 CEST 2016

In the graph that you posted some time back (sorry, I haven't been
saving emails), it appears that the x-axis numbers are not increasing
monotonically.  This is what led me (and, apparently, others) to assume
that the y-axis is the controlled variable.

If the machine is, indeed, stepping backwards when it's unhappy,
couldn't you just snip out the earlier instance of the same x-axis
value, and reorder as necessary?  Would this make for happy data?

I agree that asking the machine manufacturer what's what is best at this
point.  It does seem odd that they're not snipping out the data they
determine is bad -- if you're really lucky they're doing an outstanding
job, and you just need to figure out how to ask the machine to suppress
the bad data before you get it.