[Scilab-users] Update: Maximum allocation with Scilab 6.0 beta

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Fri Feb 26 13:41:09 CET 2016

Le 26/02/2016 13:24, antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr a écrit :
> Le 02/26/2016 01:17 PM, antoine.monmayrant at laas.fr a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For testing purposes, I am trying to allocate big chunks of memory
>> with scilab 6.0beta.
>> I have ~256GB of free ram on my machine, however, Scilab fails
>> creating variables that are way smaller than that:
>>
>> --> a=rand(100000,100000);
.
With Scilab <6, the maximal number of components in a matrix is 2^31-1,
since their linearized index is encoded with 4-byte-signed integers.
Now, 1e10 is bigger than that.
I do not think that this limit is removed in Scilab 6, but a
confirmation from the dev team would be useful.

So here, the misleading message could come from this "index limit",
without respect to the available or allocatable memory.

HTH
Samuel