[Scilab-users] Problem installing modules manually (atomsInstall)

Lester Anderson arctica1963 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 14:25:31 CET 2016

Hello Antoine,

How does one get a "cached" version of the repository list and where
is it placed?

-->atomsRepositoryList()
 ans  =

!http://atoms.scilab.org/5.5  official  !

-->atomsVersion()
 ans  =

 5.5

Is there an option to disable fetching when installing locally,
presumably after one has cached module list.

Thanks

On 15 January 2016 at 13:13,  <amonmayr at laas.fr> wrote:
> Le 01/15/2016 01:45 PM, Lester Anderson a écrit :
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Tried setting the proxy with the settings our IT guy gave in the
>> Scilab preferences and it still failed, basically thinking it could
>> not access the Internet (which is incorrect)!
>>
>> Trying the manual install again (downloaded a toolbox zip file) it
>> looks like it still needs access!
>>
>> -->atomsInstall('scinetcdf_1.1.bin.x64.windows.zip')
>>
>> !
>>           !
>> !
>>           !
>> !gzip:
>> C:\Users\xxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\SCI_TM~1\ATOMS~1\1_TOOLBOXES.gz: not!
>> !      in gzip format
>>           !
>> WARNING: atomsDESCRIPTIONget: Extraction of the DESCRIPTION file
>> ('C:\Users\landerso\AppData\Local\Temp\SCI_TM~1\ATOMS~1\1_TOOLBOXES.gz')
>> has failed.
>> Scanning repository http://atoms.scilab.org/5.5 ... Skipped
>>
>>   !--error 10000
>> All ATOMS repositories scan failed.
>> at line     198 of function atomsDESCRIPTIONget called by :
>> at line     227 of function atomsInstall called by :
>> atomsInstall('scinetcdf_1.1.bin.x64.windows.zip')
>>
>> and ...
>>
>> -->atomsInstall('apifun_0.4.2-3.bin.zip')
>>   !--error 21
>> Invalid index.
>> at line     170 of function atomsInstall called by :
>> atomsInstall('apifun_0.4.2-3.bin.zip')
>>
>> Confused to say the least the errors vary between the different archives.
>>
>> I thought that atomsInstall could be used to install a module
>> downloaded without having access to the Internet.
>

> Well, there is something weird in the way the atoms system is working.
> Whenever you install a package, it first fetches the list of all available
> packages (which takes a while).
> I just ran a test by
> I didn't find a way to turn it off.
> It's particularly annoying because it re-fetched everything even if the list
> was updated seconds ago during a previous install.
> When you install sequentially 5 local packages, it's really infuriating!
> There's room for improvement:
>
> - By default, turn off fetching when installing a local package,
> - Cache locally the list and avoid refetching if there is no change or if it
> was updated XX minutes ago.
> - Speed-up the process of updating the list: on my computer it takes 3
> minutes!
>
> Antoine
>

>> On 15 January 2016 at 10:42, Lavitha Pereira <lavitha89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Lester,
>>>
>>> If you are under proxy, follow the below instructions.
>>>
>>> Configure the network proxy
>>>

>>> atomsSetConfig("Verbose","True")
>>> atomsSetConfig("useProxy","True")
>>> atomsSetConfig("proxyHost","myProxyHost")
>>> atomsSetConfig("proxyPort","myProxyPort")
>>> atomsSetConfig("proxyUser","myUserName")