[Scilab-users] A generic datastructure dump tool?

scilab.20.browseruk at xoxy.net scilab.20.browseruk at xoxy.net
Tue Mar 29 17:31:38 CEST 2016

I've been fighting with SciLab's Graphics & GUI stuff for a week or so trying to arrange to have a line on a graph update its position in response to user manipulations of some controls (spinners or sliders) that adjust the coefficients of the polynomial the line of the graph represents.

I have a "working" version (and have had several others), but they all suffer from the same problem: namely that in order to redraw the line I have to redraw the entire graph, which defeats the point of the exercise which is to see how varying each of the coefficients affects the line. The process of re-draw is so slow that you can't see what changes.

To fix this, (I think) I need to delve deep into the gui/figure tree and bypass the high level calls to plot??().

Basically, I need to:

Arrange for the polyline that represent the polynomial to be drawn using pixel_drawing_mode:XOR.

And once the polynomial has been modified, re-draw (undraw) the previous line and the draw the new line again in XOR mode.

But, I'm having inordinate trouble trying to work out how all the different parts of a plot() draw figure tree fit together.

It would (I think) be very useful to be able to dump the entire tree of a plot figure as text so that I can work out at what level I need to intervene to achieve my goal.

But how to dump the tree to text?

Thanks, Buk