[Scilab-users] Scilab vs matlab

Tim Wescott tim at wescottdesign.com
Mon Sep 26 19:56:22 CEST 2016

It's free (as in beer)

It's free (as in open source)

It has a much better system of data typing (although as a dedicated C++
programmer, IMHO it could be better).

Any language that includes transfer functions as a native type is, IMHO,
excellent.

Because it is free and free, not only does one not have to pay as much
as a nice car to have it, one is not also constantly struggling with
stupid license issues.  Matlab either binds you to one computer or puts
demands on your IT team to implement a floating license.  Scilab just
lets you use it.

As a consultant, I can use Scilab without worrying if my customer has a
license.  Were I to use Matlab, not only would I be constrained in
trading work back and forth, but I'd have to make sure that I never used
a toolbox (more $$$) that my customer did not have.

Matlab seems to have more comprehensive tool boxes and pre-packaged
solutions.  But, I'm deeply suspicious of pre-packaged solutions for the
same reasons I'm suspicious of experts who won't explain their methods:
"you can trust me because I'm expensive" does not constitute a good
reason for me to use a result, and that's basically the implied promise
of a Matlab toolbox.

If Matlab were free, I'd still use Scilab -- Scilab is just better.