[Scilab-users] Fundamental problem with "histc"

Heinz Nabielek heinznabielek at icloud.com
Sun Apr 2 13:33:03 CEST 2017

Found out myself: Scilab help pages say

histc
computes an histogram
Description
This function computes a histogram of the data vector using the classes x.
When the number n of classes is provided instead of x, the classes are
chosen equally spaced and x(1) = min(data) < x(2) = x(1) + dx < ... < x(n+1)
= max(data) with dx = (x(n+1)-x(1))/n.
The classes are defined by C1 = [x(1), x(2)] and Ci = ( x(i), x(i+1)] for i
>= 2.

For me, this is the wrong definition, because it throws all zeros and ones
into one bin. However, I am not suggesting a change in Scilab [but perhaps a
warning against misunderstandings] and instead of

histc(0:10, A, normalization=%f) ;

I use now

histc(-0.5:9.5, A, normalization=%f).

That solves my problem.