[Scilab-users] Scilab Computer Vision Module

Tan Chin Luh chinluh at tritytech.com
Wed Apr 26 02:58:39 CEST 2017

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your comments. Just to add, IPCV is modified from SIVP, with
extra features. 1-2 functions were taken from IPD and SIP quite some
time ago.

 From my opinion, the common issues of all the module above are :
1. Distributing the binary cross platform, which always give the issue
of lib version.
2. Functions from the OPENCV are "link" to Scilab with individual
gateway, which lead to the limited functions depending on the developer.
3. Data passing and sharing between Scilab and OpenCV

 From the look of it, the scicv seems to have solved the first 2 issues,
and near to 1k functions in OPENCV seems to have included in the dll,
which I believe it break the bottle neck of which others (including me)
facing. I wonder was it hand-coded? As for number 3, I believe everyone
might have different opinion.

Yes you're right, for the moment there should be more modules, as OpenCV
functions are being used in different functions to perform a high level
task in Scilab, which I believe all developers would have their own way
to do so. Eventually I believe once the framework/basic have setup, we
could move towards it.

Just my 2 cents, sorry if any of my statements sound wrong.

Thanks.

Regards,
Chin Luh