[Scilab-users] Leading Spaces in xstring

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Mon Aug 14 13:18:25 CEST 2017

Le 14/08/2017 à 12:52, Richard llom a écrit :
>> I am afraid that you are making still worse the already very bad situation
> about
>> legends(), legend(), captions() and the leg= plotting options, that all
>> basically
>> do the same thing, but all with pitfalls: http://bugzilla.scilab.org/5371
> Ah, I wasn't aware of this...
>
>> a) to actually gather existing legends functions, b) to add missing
>> features to the merged version.
> Well, I'm all favor of removing these duplicates, however I don't think
> xstring is one of them.
>
> See my example at the very beginning of this thread. I'm using xstring to
> print some custom text, which AFAICS cannot be done using legends, legend,
> or captions.

Right, because any legend block plots the legend /together with a line's
sample/.
I forgot this "small detail" :(

> Furthermore by unifying the syntax, between e.g. captions() and xstring()
> (i.e. by providing the same location options), this should simplify things -
> both from a user and code perspective!

As posted in comment of the /wish /report:

Being able to specify normalized coordinates relative to the data ranges
or to any full axes range
would actually be very great, but not only for xstring().
IMO, implementing and distributing a function dedicated to this job
would be very useful and better.
An option of it could be to provide the block of text, to take its size
into account in the answer
(to make it not crossing the border or margin after plotting).
The locations by keywords like "in_upper_right" etc looks too stiff to
me. The same should be possible
at any location, not only on borders or margins, and again, for all
plotting functions.

xchange() could be extended. But it is hard-coded, so less easy to adapt
(imo).

Samuel