[Scilab-users] Inverse of getdate()?

Samuel Gougeon sgougeon at free.fr
Mon Aug 14 15:30:53 CEST 2017

Hello Rafael,

Le 14/08/2017 à 09:07, Rafael Guerra a écrit :

> Hello Samuel,
>
> Thanks a lot for the responses.
>
> I am bit confused about the leap seconds, getdate seems to handle
> those but datenum formula below might ignore them?

Who is not so? There is a lot of work to do tests, look at the code, etc
to properly document time functions and their time referentials. By the
way, time features depend on the OS (references @
http://bugzilla.scilab.org/8797).
Some issues with getdate(..):

  * getdate(N) with N a Unix time, takes the time zone into account,
    while the Unix time refers to the Universal Time. This is
    mislealing, even puzzling.
  * getdate() and getdate(getdate("s")) return the same result. This
    means that all getdate(..) syntaxes take the time zone into account.
    The help page documents only this dependency for the getdate(N) syntax

This was longly discussed @ http://bugzilla.scilab.org/8898. The
documentation still needs to be improved.

In addition:

  * The dependency to the Daylight Saving Time must be tested and documented
  * The fact that leap seconds are taken into account must be tested.
    May be it is actually the case for the getdate("s") syntax for the
    current date (as documented: but to be confirmed after designing a
    test), but not for other syntaxes like getdate(N), or for datenum(..)...

If you have time to do tests and build examples, you are welcome! :)

Samuel