[Scilab-users] C/C++ compiler for Mac OS Sierra

Clément David clement.david at scilab-enterprises.com
Tue Feb 21 16:27:51 CET 2017

Hi Reinaldo,

> Thank you for your mail. I downloaded the Command Line Tool as suggested by Paul in my Mac. It
> works! I found out that "gcc" and "g++" are symlinks and they are not "real" compiler because
> there is no entry for "man gcc" in Mac OSX. The real name is Clang and Clang++... Please correct
> me if I told something wrong about this issue. However, I suppose that the Clang and Clang++ work
> like gcc and g++ in Linux, respectively, don't they?

Yep they are also supported as compilers in our ./configure script and Makefiles.

> So, I gave up to use Eclipse IDE for C++ because I cannot adapt myself to the project-based
> philosophy. Therefore, I would like to program using another software, perhaps, Gedit or something
> else like that for Mac OSX.
>
> What do you suggest, please? And how could I install it in the Mac OSX Sierra?

I have no experiences on a specific editor for MacOS X, maybe Xcode (without the IDE features) or
simpler things like Atom. Vim has a better taste for me (cross-platform) with its quick Cut Paste
Sed features and LLVM based code-completion (provided by YouCompleteMe).

> PS: Is this Xcode Command Line Tool enough to run Scilab 6.0? Thanks.
I have no experience with it, but probably yes :). MacOS X is a platform we target but we do not
have developers working on it from day to day.

--
Clément