[Scilab-users] Matlab vs Scilab perf; calling a fortran routine.

shorne at energetiq.com shorne at energetiq.com
Thu Mar 2 21:14:26 CET 2017

I have done a lot of this kind of thing in scilab and other similar tools.
A key point - If the algorithm is naturally vectorizable, there probably
won't be much benefit in further optimization.  However it it inherently is
not vectorizable then the key calculation can be written as a callable
fortran (my favorite) subroutine.   Use Scilab for the I/O and
visualization; write the compute intensive core in fortran.

While I'm on the subject, the old  Intersci system was a very convenient
way to automatically generate the interface routine between scilab and an
arbitrary fortran subroutine.  There seems
not to be recent documentation on doing the same (specifically for
fortran).  Or am I missing something?   I've had to use the "call"
interface to use old code.  Is there a better way?

Thanks -
Steve